Butter Chicken (Curry)
The Dutch oven's heavy base allows for a gentle simmer that coaxes out the flavors of tomatoes, spices, and cream, melding them into a sauce of unparalleled richness. The tight-fitting lid seals in moisture, ensuring the chicken stays succulent as it bathes in the sauce, absorbing the aromatic essences to become exceptionally tender. The result is a Butter Chicken that's a symphony of flavors, with a sauce so perfect, it demands to be mopped up with a piece of warm naan.
- 2 lbs chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (14 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Basmati rice
- Naan bread
- Cooking Chicken: Cook the marinated chicken partially as it will simmer in the sauce later.
- Creaminess: Add heavy cream towards the end of cooking for a creamy texture. Adjust amount to preference.
- Final thoughts: Key to a great Butter Curry Chicken lies in the balance of spices, butter, cream, and depth of tomato-based sauce.
1. Marinating the Chicken:
- Combine the yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, garam masala, turmeric, and cayenne pepper in a bowl.
- Add the chicken pieces, ensuring they are well coated, and allow them to marinate for a minimum of 2 hours.
2. Cooking the Chicken:
- In a large pan, melt the butter, add the chopped onions, and sauté until golden and aromatic.
- Add the marinated chicken to the pan, browning lightly on all sides.
3. Creating the Curry:
- Pour the tomato sauce into the pan, mixing well to ensure the chicken is lavishly coated.
- Allow the mixture to simmer gently, absorbing the vibrant flavors and spices.
4. Finalizing the Dish:
- Pour in the heavy cream, stirring gently to introduce the creamy richness to the simmering curry.
- Allow the curry to simmer on a low heat, letting the flavors meld together beautifully.
5. Garnishing and Serving:
- Garnish the butter chicken with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
- Serve the warm, velvety butter chicken alongside fluffy Basmati rice and soft, pillowy Naan bread.