Korean Braised Beef - Galbijjim
Experience the magic of Galbijjim with the Hesslebach Dutch Oven, expertly designed for braising, allowing the rich sauce to penetrate deep into the beef ribs, infusing them with unparalleled flavor. The precise heat control ensures meat that is tender to perfection, promising a succulent Korean culinary delight with every bite.
- 2.5 pounds of beef short ribs
- 1/2 cup of soy sauce
- 1/2 cup of mirin
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 medium-sized pear, grated
- 1 medium-sized onion, grated
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of rice syrup or corn syrup
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Pear in Marinade: The Asian pear in the marinade is essential as it tenderizes the meat and adds a subtle sweetness.
- Cooking Time: Be patient with the cooking process; slow and low heat is key to achieving tender, flavorful meat.
- Variations: Feel free to add other vegetables like radishes or chestnuts depending on your preference.
- Leftovers: This dish tastes even better the next day as the flavors further meld.
1. Preparing the Ribs:
- Begin by thoroughly rinsing the beef ribs in cold water to remove any bone fragments.
- Soak the ribs in cold water for about an hour to draw out excess blood, changing the water every 20 minutes.
2. Making the Marinade:
- In a bowl, combine soy sauce, mirin, water, sugar, grated pear, grated onion, minced garlic, sesame oil, and rice syrup. Stir well to ensure the sugar is completely dissolved.
3. Cooking the Ribs:
- Place the soaked ribs in a pot and add enough water to cover the ribs. Bring it to a boil and let it simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Drain the ribs, rinse them under cold water, and clean the pot.
- Return the cleaned ribs to the pot, pour the marinade over the ribs, ensuring they are well coated.
- Add sliced carrots and bring everything to a boil. Reduce heat and let it simmer, covered, for about 1 to 1.5 hours.
4. Finishing Touches:
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add chopped green onions to the pot and gently stir.
- Let it simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together beautifully.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and serve with steamed rice and your choice of sides.